This MOOC addresses the necessary linkages within food systems and the importance of adopting a multi-sectoral approach to nutrition-sensitive interventions.
This MOOC was designed and developed by the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) and Agreenium (Institut Agro Montpellier et Cirad), and funded by the German Federal Ministry of Food and Agriculture (2021 first edition), the Université Virtuelle Environnement et Développement Durable (UVED) and Montpellier Université d'excellence (Muse).
Open Meeting; EDT (UTC -4)
Delivered in two languages, English and French.
- English Session: https://www.fun-mooc.fr/en/courses/nutrition-and-food-systems/
- French Session: https://www.fun-mooc.fr/fr/cours/nutrition-systemes-alimentaires/
The course runs over five weeks and starts on Friday 06/05/2022, and it requires about 5 hours’ average time commitment per week.
Learning will be progressive. Each week you will have access to new modules. Once the module is open, materials and activities will remain available to allow participants to organize daily schedule at their convenience.
Please note that all module and live webinar opening times refer to universal time, CUT (e.g. for France, it is CUT+1).
Use this site to find out your time difference: https://www.worldtimeserver.com/
Objectives of this session:
At the end of this MOOC, you will be able to:
- Explain how food systems shape peoples’ diets, and affect their nutritional and health status and the socio-economic development of countries.
- Describe the linkages and impact pathways among food systems, nutrition, agriculture and food.
- Distinguish between linear approaches and a food systems approach to promote healthy diets and address malnutrition.
- Advocate for a multisectoral and multidisciplinary food-systems approach for promoting healthy diets and to address malnutrition.
- Contribute to the design of actions and programmes for sustainable food systems that promote healthy diets and address malnutrition drawing on lessons learned in different countries and contexts.
This MOOC is designed for people involved in the design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of nutrition-sensitive food systems and agriculture policies and programmes, policy and decision-makers.
It can also be of interest to students, specialists and professionals working in the areas of food systems, nutrition, agriculture, forestry and fisheries who may be seeking to obtain the “Nutrition and Food Systems” certificate.
Assessment and Certification
Quizzes within the units are not graded. At the end of each week of learning, participants will be offered to pass a graded test which will be available each week. There will be a total of 5 weekly tests, each covering the content of the corresponding Units of the related week.
By passing all 5 weekly tests with a minimum score of 70% of correct answers each, the certificate will be granted and participants will have the possibility to download it in .pdf format.
Only students who participate actively and pass the tests of each week, will be granted the final certificate, which attests the acquisition of competencies related to the MOOC.
For more information please visit the FAO elearning Academy elearning.fao.org
Feel free to explore the Digital Catalogue at https://elearning.fao.org/course/view.php?id=715