The Asia-Pacific Forum on Sustainable Development (APFSD) is the most inclusive regional platform on sustainable development in Asia and the Pacific.
The sixth Forum, as in previous years, will serve as a preparatory event for the 2019 high-level political forum on sustainable development (HLPF) and will engage member States, United Nations bodies and other institutions, major groups and other stakeholders in highlighting regional and subregional perspectives on the 2019 theme of the HLPF, “Empowering people and ensuring inclusiveness and equality”.
This year, the APFSD will address the theme “'Empowering people and ensuring inclusiveness and equality” and on the cluster of SDGs to be reviewed at the HLPF - in accordance with General Assembly resolution 70/299:
- Goal 4. Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all
- Goal 8. Promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all
- Goal 10. Reduce inequality within and among countries
- Goal 13. Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts
- Goal 16. Promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, provide access to justice for all and build effective, accountable and inclusive institutions at all levels
- Goal 17. Strengthen the means of implementation and revitalize the global partnership for sustainable development
In line with the regional architecture for follow-up and review, the Forum will conduct an in-depth review of Goal 4 on quality education, Goal 8 on decent work and economic growth, Goal 10 on reducing inequalities, Goal 13 on climate action, Goal 16 on peace, justice and strong institutions and Goal 17 on partnerships for the Goals and their interlinkages. It will support the presentation of voluntary national reviews and will assess progress of the regional road map for implementing the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development in Asia and the Pacific. Discussions on regional follow-up and review will also inform the review of the high-level political forum on sustainable development.
The APFSD agenda will address:
- Regional perspectives on the implementation, follow-up and review of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, including in-depth review of the theme and cluster of goals; and
- Strengthening implementation of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development in the Asia-Pacific, including the assessment of the progress of the regional road map for implementing the 2030 Agenda in Asia and the Pacific.
Other events will precede the APFSD, and will be announced separately. For information on the People's forum to be held prior to the APFSD, please see: https://www.unescap.org/events/apcsfsd6
and click here for more information on the youth forum.